Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Tips

Carl Saiontz

By Carl Saiontz
Posted December 21, 2009


Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is often referred to as “the silent killer” for good reason: the colorless and odorless gas is the leading cause of poison death and injury in the U.S. However, the risk of injury can be greatly reduced by following a few preventative safety steps.

>INFORMATION: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Lawsuits

The lawyers at Saiontz & Kirk, P.A. investigate potential CO poisoning lawsuits throughout the United States for individuals who have been diagnosed with injuries as a result of exposure to carbon monoxide. Unfortunately, CO leaks often result in prolonged exposure because the gas is not detected and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often mistaken for a common cold or flu. The longer a person is exposed to carbon monoxide gas leaks, the greater the risk that they will be left with serious long-term injuries or die.

A recent reminder released by the Health Canada stresses the importance of the use of CO detectors in homes, in addition to the importance of upkeep on homes and appliances that can emit carbon monoxide gas. Carbon monoxide detectors are often the only way to detect CO emissions before they reach dangerous levels and cause injury or death. Health Canada recommends the following safety tips:

  • Make sure that CO detectors are certified by an accredited safety organization.
  • Install CO detectors in the hallways outside of every sleeping area in the home.
  • Ensure CO detectors are not covered by furniture or drapes.
  • Regularly test CO detectors to make sure they are functioning properly, and regularly replace batteries in battery-powered detectors according to manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Have fuel-burning heating equipment vents, chimneys and other exhaust structures inspected annually by qualified technicians to ensure proper ventilation.
  • Inspect vents for dryers, furnaces and wood-burning or gas stoves during and after snow storms to make certain the exhaust vents are not blocked by snow.
  • Never operate generators or portable fuel-burning camping equipment indoors. In addition, never burn charcoal indoors or in a garage or tent unless it is specifically designed for indoor use.
  • Do not idle vehicles or run gas-powered equipment in garages, particularly when the door is closed.
  • Do not use gas appliances such as ovens or clothes dryers to heat your home.

If a CO detector emits a warning, you should leave your home immediately and seek fresh air, only then attempting to contact emergency services. You should not return to your home until the source of the carbon monoxide has been identified by a professional who can assure you that the leak has been eliminated.


The toxic tort attorneys at Saiontz & Kirk, P.A. review potential carbon monoxide lawsuits throughout the United States for individuals who have experienced injuries as a result of a carbon monoxide leak caused by the negligence of another person, such as a landlord, manufacturer, repair company or other entity.

To review a potential claim with our carbon monoxide poisoning attorneys for yourself, a friend or family member, request a free consultation and claim evaluation.

No Comments • Add Your Comments

Add Your Comments

  • Have Your Comments Reviewed by a Lawyer

    Provide contact information below and additional private comments if you want an attorney to contact you to review a potential case.

    The information below will not be published to this page.

  • NOTE: Providing information for review by an attorney does not form an attorney-client relationship.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.