MRI Contrast Problems May Be The Result of Gadolinium Toxicity

Austin Kirk

By Austin Kirk
Posted May 21, 2018

ADD YOUR COMMENTS 42

Following an MRI with contrast, if you or a loved one have suffered from persistent pain, headaches, skin changes, brain fog or other problems, it may be the result of toxic gadolinium building up in your brain or body.

Gadolinium is used to help enhance images during an MRI or MRA exam. While patients are told that the contrast dye is safe and leaves the body within a few days if you have normal kidney function, mounting evidence suggests that is not the case and gadolinium may be retained, posing serious health risks.

The lawyers at Saiontz & Kirk, P.A. are reviewing potential MRI gadolinium toxicity lawsuits for individuals who have experienced any of the following symptoms within a few weeks after an exam where a contrast dye was injected:

• Persistent Headaches
  • Bone and Joint Pain
  • Reduced Cognitive Function
  • Tendon and Ligament Pain
  • Thickening Of Soft Tissues
  • Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis

CONTACT OUR LAWYERS ABOUT MRI CONTRAST PROBLEMS

Gadolinium Retention from MRI Contrast Dye

MRI Contrast ProblemsAbout ten years ago, our law firm represented individuals nationwide who were diagnosed nephrogenic systemic fibrosis from MRI contrast agents.

This debilitating and life-threatening condition was seen among individuals with impaired kidney function, where the contrast dye was not being excreted from the body, resulting in gadolinium toxicity.

Although the manufacturers have maintained that gadolinium MRI contrast dye is safe for individuals with normal kidney function, recent evidence indicates that gadolinium may be retained in the body and brain.

• March 2015 – A study published in the medical journal Radiology found evidence of gadolinium deposits in the brain of those who had an MRI with contrast, while those who had not received the injections did not have the residue.
  • June 2015 – The findings of research conducted on the rats was published in the journal Investigative Radiology, indicating that animals injected with “linear” gadolinium contrast agents had high levels of gadolinium deposits deep in the brain, with significant and persistent abnormalities, as well as signs of hyperintensity even after injections were stopped.
  • July 2015 – FDA announces that it is evaluating the risk of gadolinium brain deposits from repeated MRI contrast exams, following recent publications in medical literature.
  • July 2016 – American College of Radiology updates guidelines for when to use gadolinium MRI dye, including factors that should now be considered based on the risk of deposits in the brain or other sensitive organs.
  • September 2017 – The FDA Medical Imagine Drugs Advisory Committee voted 13-1 to recommend new MRI contrast dye warnings about the risk of gadolinium buildup in the brain.
  • December 2017 – New gadolinium warnings were announced by the FDA about the risk of gadolinium retention, and new recommendations for healthcare professionals and patients.

Gadolinium Toxicity Lawyers

As a result of the failure to warn about the risks associated with gadolinium deposits building up in the brain and body, the lawyers at Saiontz & Kirk, P.A. are reviewing potential injury cases for individuals nationwide.

Financial compensation may be available for individuals who have suffered side effects from gadolinium toxicity. The progressive disease may have been avoided if patients and doctors had been informed about the potential risk before agreeing to undergo an MRI with contrast.

All claims are handled by our lawyers on a contingency fee basis, meaning there is no fee unless a recovery is obtained. To review a potential claim, request a free consultation and claim evaluation.

42 Comments • Add Your Comments

• Charles says:

I have had this procedure done twice I think the first time it was in 2013 in Charleston but they called it nuclear medicine and I also had it done again in 2016 or 17 at McLeod’s in Florence South Carolina and I do have like short term memory loss I do have joint pain in my feet and in my hands and also my knees and my hip and my back and I do have headaches all the time I guess we’re talking about the same procedure is where they inject you with dye and you have to sit for a little while and then they put you on the table to do a MRI and they stated taking pictures of your organs and stuff for like every few minutes for maybe 30 minutes or an hour ago how long it takes to do this but yes I am interested in speaking with an attorney about this

Posted on May 23, 2018 at 10:55 pm

• Kendell says:

I’ve always been given MRI’s because doctors told me I needed one even though I asked if it was safe because of the dye making me feel sick

Posted on May 24, 2018 at 7:51 am

• Kelley says:

I have some serious headaches going on. I had an mri done 2x this year. I wondered why i had teribnle headaches now? Well reading this, now it makes sense. I have experienced all these side effects.

Posted on June 6, 2018 at 11:20 am

• Jessica says:

The 1st time it happened I broke out in raised painful blisters. Then after the 2nd time I knew for sure whatever it was had to do with the dye. We no longer use dye I no longer break out with painful blisters. Now suffer from Fibromyalgia and mo

Posted on June 13, 2018 at 1:15 am

• Naomi says:

Are a naturopathuc doctor’s or chiripractor’s reports considered admissible in court or good for legal documentation?

Posted on June 14, 2018 at 8:36 pm

• Cynthia says:

Where and who do you get tested. I have had lots of MRIs and with most of them with dye due to neck surgery of a disc which is fused with screws etc.

Posted on June 18, 2018 at 7:27 pm

• Michael says:

I had to have 17% of my brain removed because of dead “brain cells” consisting of 9 tumors…I have had many MRI’S of my brain….

Posted on June 18, 2018 at 10:15 pm

• Susan says:

I’ve had approximately 20 MRI ‘s on my head because I’ve had 4 brain aneurysms. 15 surgeries and still need to have tissue expanders out in for next surgery. I have memory problems and joint pain?

Posted on June 22, 2018 at 12:19 pm

• Sherry says:

I’ve had these MRI as far back as 1993, still 2018. I’m getting seen by Neuroscience appointment papper work came today in the mail. I saw this doctor cammel,some years. Back and had the die contrast and MRI back then for these problems reasults. They found four white spots on my brain and i don’t know what else. Three or four weeks ago, i went to family doctor complaing about memory loss and at a physical this week complaining of being forgetful and not remembering. She is sending me to to Neuro science Dr Cammel. There is definitel a. Problem going on. Thank you looking forward in hearing from you.

Posted on June 22, 2018 at 12:20 pm

• Charles says:

Starting in November of 2015 I had many procedures using a contrast for lymphoma stage 4 cancer in the lung cavity . I was clear in late 2016 . In summer of 2017 fell had test with contrast to check for pain issues . October 2017 had scans with contrast to check on cancer about that time started headaches , dizzy , skin issues , had a hard time thinking , had a growth above my eye , pain in joints , fatigue. At that time had Mercer in my big toe which is treated by Cipro the end of February how to scan with contrast to make sure Mercer was not in my bone . At that time things got it worst . Currently seeing 5 doctors to help with the issues .

Posted on June 25, 2018 at 12:03 pm

• Yves says:

Having suffered cellulitis in my right leg, a condition that had developed for no known reason, landed me in the hospital around August 2016.
    An MRI with Gadolinium as a contrast dye was scheduled. I was informed that the dye was needed to verify vasculature in my leg.
    Keeping a story to a manageable length, I almost passed away due to anaphylaxis and experienced intense and extremely painful burning within my body, when the dye was injected.
    Subsequent to this event, within a month, I found that I was having difficulty walking due to intense discomfort, emanating from my right hip and right leg. Additionally, my lower back, on a regular basis does not feel comfortable, whereby it feels tight.
    One other aspect, was that I had become confused and disoriented, leading me to want to get a divorce. Somehow an aspect of sanity prevailed and my wife and I go to counseling once a month, since January/February 2018.
    I work 3 EMT jobs, putting in about 100+ hours a week and the issues that prevail with my right hip and right leg, have brought me to the point of needing to find other work. This is due to the fact that my condition may be detrimental and harmful to my patients and partners.

Posted on June 26, 2018 at 3:44 am

• Willette says:

Joint pain more so after this MRI w/contrast. Headaches and slight stinging especially with right hand for Iam right hand! Feeling nausea from time to time, never before had these symptoms. I MRI W/contrast on 2015 and
    again in 2018,.

Posted on June 28, 2018 at 1:27 pm

• Betty says:

I have had quite a few M.R.I. S IN MY LIFETIME And have all the symptoms that are listed one your website.

Posted on June 29, 2018 at 1:23 pm

• Lisa says:

I have had multiple MRI’s with contrast. I have since developed excruciating pain especially in my lower legs, pain/swelling in my joints, and brain fog. Never been tested for Gadolinium toxicity nor did I hear anything about it until your message on Facebook. Have had other multiple tests to determine cause of my symptoms with inconclusive results. Gadolinium toxicity may just be my problem.

Posted on July 12, 2018 at 3:43 pm

• Theresa says:

Since I had contrast dye mri, about 30 or so days later I started having severe cramping in my feet and calves, hands and forearms, usally twice a week or so. I have to be careful in stretching or positioning of my feet or they will cramp. Gripping with my hands causes them to cramp now. Never had this before. Inside my ankles feel swollen or numb kind of..thick, tingly etc. its strange. The only reason I related it to this dye is a reaction I had when they did it, I actually reached out and said I felt bad, funny etc. I thought they gave me too much. And then later this cramping began.

Posted on July 12, 2018 at 7:48 pm

• Mary says:

i had an MRI done like 5 year’s ago and have alot of the symptoms

Posted on July 13, 2018 at 10:25 am

• Michael says:

I have an MRI every year since 2012. I have a Acoustic Neuroma and the Doctors in Gainesville FL say I need one every to see if my tumor shrinks. I have many symptoms you have listed. The one that bothers me the most is a ticking of tissue in the left side of on mouth and heavy pain. I take Lortab 7.5 mg. 4 times per day to cope with the pain.

Posted on July 13, 2018 at 3:39 pm

• Jeneene says:

This is unbelievable I thought I was losing my mind and trying to figure out why all of the above symptoms in this lawsuit I have been having for years and I have had several of these done I am so glad that I may have finally found the answer yes!! I definitely do believe I’m a candidate I am so glad this pop-up came acrossed maybe now there is hope and a solution!

Posted on July 17, 2018 at 8:27 am

• Linda says:

Yes! I must have had at least 10. MRI. S on my brain! Some lost of memory headaches! I changed neurologist havent had a mri in 2 years ! I wonder why?

Posted on July 18, 2018 at 12:50 pm

• Laura says:

Here again last month I had a MRI with Dye again and I stress I had one in 2016 and finally started feel a little better up till 06/19/2018 my symptoms start with in 8 hours of my procedure the feeling something us crawling under my skin, the itching us DRIVING ME CRAZY the pain in my joints is indescribable God I just don’t know if I can deal with this again. My Cognitive memory is horrible my head will blow off at anytime because of the intense headache. I am now retaining water internally and I’ve never had kidney diease but I’m willing to bet my kidneys are trying to shut down. I’m already in very agressed Congestive heart failure and now my heart is pounding me out of bed. I’m only 52 raising my granddaughter and I don’t think I’ll be around much longer and all because of negligence from people I trusted. I don’t know what to do.

Posted on July 23, 2018 at 1:49 am

• Boliver says:

I have has several MRI in the last few years. I have tingling in my feet, pain in my shoulder, and brain fog.

Posted on July 25, 2018 at 1:25 am

• Lisa says:

I have had a few MRI I have been suffering with pain for years at least 10 I have a bad foggy brain and feel like I can’t remember anything I have bad joint and hip pain and have been on pain medicine for years.this month I had a scan again with dye.I was never told about risks.I could of lived a pain free life but I continue to suffer many affects also headaches .

Posted on July 31, 2018 at 10:32 am

• Deronda says:

I had a severe reaction due to contrast dye.Done to clearly se a tumor in my left arm.Ive had fibromyalgia symptoms ever since.I was temporarily blind and heart felt like it was going to explode.The ER staff ran down and thought I was having a panic attack until they saw the hematoma at the injection site

Posted on August 3, 2018 at 11:25 am

• Alsenia says:

I as well have had several mri done with dye.I Have headaches.skin rashes.have trouble remembering.and joint pain.

Posted on August 14, 2018 at 9:47 am

• Terry says:

I had a MRI this year and I have to get one ever to year and I noticed that I can’t hardly remember things at times and my hands and knees and legs hurts I just thought it was me thinking oh VB it’s just another headache or acking hands

Posted on August 15, 2018 at 8:53 am

• Mark says:

Same symptoms as described in YOUR information

Posted on August 17, 2018 at 10:56 am

• Dennis says:

I have had 3-4 MRI’s with contrast at the direction of my Doctor. I was never informed about the risks associated with the injection of the dye. Subsequent to each test I was fine but, soon thereafter I suffered a lapse of memory and “brain fog”. Obviously unsure if the contract dye was responsible, I just continued on ward after the Doctor showed the results of the testing. The dye, although it left a funny taste in my mouth, seemed to work and the Doctor’s displayed the results of the test’s which, showed my MS Lesions. I am unsure if they could study that any other way ? However, I am willing to learn the truth>

Posted on August 26, 2018 at 10:03 am

• Carl says:

I’ve had several of those procedures done in the past several years and I had all the symptoms and more so the memeory loss I forget simple things I remeber after they injected it it would feel warm they say like peeing your pants but I have had tough skin discoloration never new why my body always sore constant pain and was itchy after every time ive done the procedure wow this nedds to be addressed because can it be cured or not this is now scary stuff i will not do another one again can you help me

Posted on August 28, 2018 at 1:13 pm

• jean says:

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2000. I also have hydro encephalopathy in 2012 , after many MRIs with dye ordered by my neurologist.
    I have severe head pain, can’t read any longer. My eyes are affected too. I have severe joint pain and swelling and much pain in spine and my kidneys are very small now and I keep getting renal failure 1 to 4 times a year minimum.
    My lower legs and feet swell much and painful.
    I also have the fibroid growths in both kidneys and 1 on outside of 1 kidney.
    I am inconsistent and other times I can’t urinate. I must catherize myself 2 to 5 times.daily.
    I have many other symptoms but I’m very tired as usual.
    I have signed the paperwork for u and will be there soon..
    Please help me get well if possible.
    Sincerely
    Jean Baran

Posted on August 29, 2018 at 1:56 am

• Mario says:

After my Non Hodgskin Lymphoma chemotherapy in 2017 I had 2 or more MRA/PET Scan. They inject with dye that I felt very strange in my body and after that I suffer memory loss sometimes, headaches, severe joint pain in my knee and cramping.

Posted on September 9, 2018 at 11:10 am

• Dolores says:

I have had the cntrast die many times over the past 20 years. never associated any of my problems with it. aprox 1 month ago i received it to diagnose a kidney problem that actually still hasnt been diagnosed, also had this same test done several times back in 2014 aprox 3 or 4 in a matter of a couple days. Since than I have been getting migrains almost every day, numbness and tingling in my hands and feet daily, almost constant, terrible memory loss to the point I went to doctor cause it was beginning to scare me, eye sight has decreased and also see things flashes of light, shadows, a lot of bluriness, ect. ect. severe wrist pain out of the blue to the point i cant use my hands, contantly dropping things cause I either cant feel my hands or the pain is so bad I cant hold my grip. I am very interested in knowing if my symptons are associated with this contrast if for no other reason than to just ease my mind.

Posted on September 12, 2018 at 9:37 am

• Rebecca says:

First I’d like to say to all those who have suffered from this HORRIBLE toxin that has been continuously injected into our bodies to help and try to come up with some sort of a solution, I am TRULY sympathetic and can feel your pain in every way, shape and form! I feel like like my kidneys are being twisted and stabbed on a daily basis, which NEVER happened before 2015. I thought I had had stones or a kidney infection. However, 3-4 Doctors have ruled that out as being the problem to my pain. Both of my legs, especially my feet and even MORESO, my knees. I can’t kneel AT ALL without feeling like I’m kneeling on glass. I would accept back pain over these symptoms ANY given day. My children get upset with me because I can hardly remember things that I say, even if it’s less than 2 mins prior. I’m too young for ALL of these problems and issues to start now. I have my whole life ahead of me and to think that this could have been avoided, if someone would have done more research on this “Contrast!”, this, “TOXIC DYE!” I’m just livid and I’m tired of going from doctor to doctor to try and figure out what the heck is wrong with me. At least I’m not alone, I’m sorry to all of you sufferers, but no one EVER wants suffer in excruciating pain and have no answers going on almost 4 years now. I’m not myself mentally or physically and I am SOOOO ready for a change.

Posted on September 12, 2018 at 10:56 am

• James says:

I had an MRI back in October 2017 to scan activity and function of my heart. Since then within a month or so I began having to deal with this shooting surge of pain in my left thigh. The surface skin is continually numb to the touch and the skin is hard as a rock. At any moment on a random basis I encounter a strong series of shooting pain as if steel tipped darts were being thrown into my leg. clear up the left side of my back with a slight rash is ever present.. Itching is ever present. I have painful bone d joint pain in that area. I feel I have lost a lot of my physical strenghth I hope there is some ssolutiion to this problem. If anydoctoer indicates he wants an MRI I will have to say “NO WAY”.

Posted on September 25, 2018 at 9:24 am

• Sharlotte says:

I have all symptoms and have had many MRI w contrast

Posted on September 28, 2018 at 1:24 pm

• Eli says:

Since 1981 almost every week a least once or more they would strap me to a table after the injection & tilt the table head down w/ my legs pointing up. This way the DYE would go to my head faster. Started noticing in 99. Okay, I’m having problems, but no Dr. Could figure it out. I will take the test. Thank you for your help

Posted on October 2, 2018 at 10:44 am

• Linda says:

I knew I was experiencing different health issues that I could only attribute to worsening Arthritis. But as I listened to the reports it now makes more sense. Intense burning, itching, and blotchy and numb feelings in left arm and hand. Swelling in extremities. Headaches most every day. Vision has gotten so much worse. I’m very concerned about long term effects of this due. I wish I could have had a chance to decide for myself if I wanted to take this risk. But I was not informed about it before I received it.

Posted on October 3, 2018 at 9:09 am

• Annalisa says:

I have haf this procedure perfomed 2x not being explained to about the risk now I am dealing with severe Spinal and Lower Back Pain.Also the pocedure with my hips and Thighs n Right leg resulting from theseMRI’s Perfomed this year of 2018 and it is only getting worse.

Posted on October 4, 2018 at 11:13 am

• Annalisa says:

Posted on October 4, 2018 at 11:17 am

• Pamela says:

This is such enlightening page! So much of the mental abilities we have yet to grasp & wrap our heads around! We r treying our God given best to unfold the mysterious given messages he so desperately needs & wants us to grasp &utilizse
    For the world’s salvation!

Posted on October 4, 2018 at 1:06 pm

• Teresa says:

I too have had several MRI’s with contrast, the most recent being a few weeks ago and two more within 1.5 yrs., with one being my heart. Couldn’t breathe, anxiety took over and it burned like hell.
    In constant pain (10+) daily from my back, legs, hands and right hip. My memory is has been getting worse to where family and friends have noticed. Fibromyalgia, severe arthritis, headaches and I don’t get headaches often until recently. My right kidney has been giving me issues and when my doctor called she said some level to do with my kidneys was high. I also have a severe Vitamin D deficiency #13 is my number and has been for over 15 years with no luck getting numbers up with 100,000 units a week. Depression, fatigue and stress are also more noticeable. The pain and memory issues are enough to keep me in unless I have a doctor’s appointment.
    If it wasn’t for your post on Facebook, I would of never known about Gadolinium toxicity, so thank you! Question,
    what does the test consist of with determining Gadolinium toxicity?

Posted on October 4, 2018 at 5:27 pm

• Chuck says:

I have had massive constant headaches since May 16 2016, joint pain that is at times almost unbearable. During one pain injection appointment the doctor injected, according to his own words, he was injecting a dye for an MRI and no MRI was done or ordered! I have had all of the above symptoms ever since. All of my days are painful and my activities are now very limited.

Posted on October 5, 2018 at 11:41 am

• Annette says:

I have had to many MRIs with contrast to count. In 2008 I had back surgery in which l4-l5 were fused and held with plates and screws, in 2010 a manigioma tumor was found in my brain, was monitored for 4 years with MRI with contrast , in 2014 had to have tumor removed and have been monitored every year with MRI w contrast to check for return of tumor . I have almost every symptom except the headaches . The worst is the joint pain, have been to my doctor to,many times to,count to,try and figure out why I hurt so,bad and he has never been able to tell me exactly what is wrong so we treat the symptoms . As I get older it is starting to affect my mobility , I am on 49 years old, I should not be in as much pain as I am. The pain and loss of mobility has caused depression which I fight daily along with the pain.

Posted on October 9, 2018 at 11:03 am