XSport Gym Carbon Monoxide Leak Highlights Exposure Risks

Carl Saiontz

By Carl Saiontz
Posted January 7, 2016


A recent carbon monoxide leak at XSport Fitness Gym in Alexandria, Virginia highlights the dangers associated with this toxic gas, which can quickly overcome individuals and result in permanent brain damage after even a short exposure. The carbon monoxide lawyers at Saiontz & Kirk, P.A. have already been contacted by some who were injured as a result of this incident, which appears to have been entirely avoidable.

First responders were called to the XSport Gym in Alexandria on Saturday morning, after exercisers began passing out following exposure to high levels of the odorless, colorless and tasteless gas.

Carbon monoxide does not have any irritating factors to allow someone to detect it’s presence, which highlights the need for detectors or alarms to alert individuals that high levels of the gas are present. In this case, the leak was not detected until those working out at the Alexandria XSport Gym began to experience symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Reports indicate that individuals exposed to carbon monoxide at XSport Gym began to feel dizzy and lightheaded while working out, with some literally passing out while using the exercise equipment. It was not until it became apparent that many people at the gym were experiencing the same problems that emergency officials were called.

Alexandria Fire Department officials indicate that carbon monoxide readings at XSport Fitness were as high as 1,000 parts per million (PPM), which is extremely dangerous and can result in long-term health complications.

Carbon monoxide readings of only 35ppm are consider dangerous, potentially causing headaches and dizziness, with nausea, convulsions and loss of consciousness commonly seen as levels increase.

Permanent brain damage from carbon monoxide poisoning may occur with the levels found at XSport Gym, potentially leaving individuals with lingering and long-term neurological side effects.

According to a report by Fox 5 News, XSport Fitness was cited by the Fire Marshall for the carbon monoxide leak at the gym.

Early information suggests that the leak was caused by pool heaters at the gym, which appears to have malfunctioned, not been properly ventilated or maintained, allowing carbon monoxide to build up throughout the Virginia gym.

1 Comment • Add Your Comments

  • Lexus says:

    I may have carbon mioxide poising in my apartment building because we don’t have fire detectors that work

    Posted on January 14, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Add Your Comments

  • Have Your Comments Reviewed by a Lawyer

    Provide contact information below and additional private comments if you want an attorney to contact you to review a potential case.

    The information below will not be published to this page.

  • NOTE: Providing information for review by an attorney does not form an attorney-client relationship.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.