Zantac Recall Lawyers Reviewing Cancer Claims

Austin Kirk

By Austin Kirk
Posted October 9, 2019

ADD YOUR COMMENTS 27

Recent testing by an independent pharmacy has confirmed that users of Zantac may have been exposed to massive amounts of the human carcinogen N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA). This has resulted in nationwide calls for a Zantac recall and lawsuits against the drug makers for failing to warn about this risk.

Contact Our Lawyers To Review a ZANTAC CANCER CLAIM

• Do You Have a Valsartan Case?
  • Step 1 of 2

Saiontz & Kirk, PA, Attorneys & Lawyers, Baltimore, MD

The product liability lawyers at Saiontz & Kirk, P.A. are reviewing Zantac claims for individuals throughout the United States who were diagnosed with any of the following cancers in recent years, which have been linked to human exposure to NDMA:

• Bladder Cancer
  • Stomach Cancer
  • Colorectal Cancer
  • Esophageal Cancer
  • Intestinal Cancer
  • Ovarian Cancer
  • Pancreatic Cancer
  • Testicular Cancer
  • Uterine Cancer
  • Liver Cancer
  • Kidney Cancer
  • Other Cancers

Zantac NDMA Contamination

Zantac (ranitidine) was first approved in 1983, for the treatment of heartburn with acid indigestion. It has also been approved for the treatment of stomach ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and other stomach acid problems.

Following wide-spread marketing for the drug, which promoted the safety of Zantac, the medication was the first to ever reach $1 billion in annual sales, and has been a top-selling drug for decades. Zantac is now widely available over-the-counter (OTC), and generic ranitidine versions are sold by a number of pharmacies and drug makers.

Last month, CVS, Walmart, Rite-Aid, Walgreens and other prominent pharmacies suspended sales of the drug amid concerns about a potential link between Zantac and cancer. This came following the discovery that tablets manufactured by several different drug makers may contain high levels of the human carcinogen NDMA.

The problem was brought to light by the online pharmacy Valisure, which conducts independent testing on all drugs in its pharmacy. Analysis discovered “extremely high levels of NDMA” in all lots of Zantac tested, across multiple manufacturers and ranitidine products.

On September 9, 2019, Valisure filed a Zantac recall petition (PDF) with the FDA, calling for the drug to be removed from the market throughout the United States.

“The Food and Drug Administration has established a permissible daily intake limit for the probable human carcinogen, NDMA, of 96 ng. Valisure has detected NDMA in excess of 3,000,000 ng per tablet when analyzing ranitidine products, likely due to an inherent instability of the ranitidine molecule.”

The petition presents evidence that the manufacturers knew or should have known about the NDMA risks since Zantac first put on the market, and outlines a number of studies and concerns raised through the years, which were apparently ignored by drug makers.

The petition to recall Zantac also calls for the FDA to make sure consumers are instructed about how to safely get rid of unused pills without contaminating drinking water sources, as dumping the pills in the toilet or into landfills should be avoided. It also called on the FDA to put in place new regulations that require stringent independent chemical testing and verification of pharmaceutical products.

Zantac Claims May Provide Financial Compensation for Cancer Diagnosis

The Zantac recall lawyers at Saiontz & Kirk, P.A. are investigating claims by individuals nationwide who say they developed various forms of cancer following long-term Zantac use, including:

• Bladder Cancer
  • Stomach Cancer
  • Small Intestine Cancer
  • Colorectal Cancer
  • Esophageal Cancer
  • Liver Cancer
  • Pancreatic Cancer
  • Testicular Cancer
  • Uterine Cancer
  • Kidney Cancer

It appears the drug makers knew for decades that Zantac contained NDMA, a chemical that is known to cause cancer in humans. However, rather than investigating the risk and warning about the side effect of Zantac, the medication was sold as a safe and effective treatment.

If you, a friend or family member have been diagnosed with cancer after at least three months of Zantac use, request a free consultation and claim evaluation. All claims are handled on a contingency fee basis, meaning there are no out-of-pocket expenses and our attorneys receive no fees unless a settlement or court judgment is reached.

REQUEST A ZANTAC CLAIM EVALUATION

27 Comments • Add Your Comments

• Elaine says:

I was taking Zantac for years. It turned out after 20 some odd years and excruciating pain I had to have my gall bladder removed. During an xray the tech stated it looked like I have cancer, but wasnt supposed to say anything. The surgeon showed me photos only. Never said i contracted cancer, but there were some concerns

Posted on November 8, 2019 at 1:06 am

• Princess says:

I have taken over the counter Zantac in the past along with prescription Protonix for years. I had stage 3 cancer on my right kidney and had to have my kidney removed 5 years ago. I had no idea that these drugs could cause cancer until I saw this add. If someone does call ..please leave a message with number to return your call. I would like to see it I have a case.

Posted on November 8, 2019 at 11:05 pm

• Nancie says:

If an examination is needed, due to my taking this medication, please advise. What signs should I be experiencing? Looking forward to your anticipation in this matter.

Posted on November 11, 2019 at 1:40 am

• Amy says:

I had half of my right kidney removed because i had renal cell carcinoma. I used to take zantac daily for years.

Posted on November 13, 2019 at 9:37 am

• Jacqueline says:

Been taking zantac for years,no cancer but still nervous and scared

Posted on November 17, 2019 at 11:36 am

• Ann says:

I took Zantac and Ranitidine for years for heartburn. Recently had a gall bladder attack and had MRI and also had a spot on my liver I believe. Suggested I have surgery for gall bladder. No mention of spot. Still no clue of what it is.

Posted on November 18, 2019 at 2:47 pm

• Mike says:

Iv taken the product as prescribed and no one told advised me of any cancer causing agent in it . is there anything I need to be looking for . you could always text me . it would be easier that way

Posted on November 19, 2019 at 11:22 am

• Russell says:

I have taken zantac for at least the last 20 years but I have not been diagnosed with cancer but should I get screened for it ? And what if later on I get one of these cancers how can i be compensated?

Posted on November 19, 2019 at 2:37 pm

• Kelli says:

Father diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer this spring. Took zantac regularly for many years. Nonsmoker, nondrinker, otherwise very healthy man. Passed away in september due to surgical complications to remove cancer. Does my mother have a case?

Posted on November 21, 2019 at 10:45 am

• Kelli says:

Posted on November 21, 2019 at 10:48 am

• Noel says:

I was taking zantac for several years 2 times a day for severe gerd. My kidneys kept decreasing and my gfr went from in the 20’s to less than 10 in 6 weeks. I went into renal failure and had to start dialysis. I was confused on how fast it dropped only because I was in the 20’s for over a year. I eventually received a kidney transplant. Did this drug cause this.

Posted on November 24, 2019 at 12:40 pm

• Noel says:

Posted on November 24, 2019 at 12:45 pm

• Cindy says:

I have taken Zantac 150mg for over 15 yrs my Aunt started me on them shen died July 30,2019 of Cancer it was stage 4 of ovarian cancer she had cancer in her lymph nodes and she had tubes in her kidneys she had it so bad that it svares me because I have no insurance to go be tested for cancer so I’m always sick throwing up so now I am worried for my life and its causing me to stress out.

Posted on November 25, 2019 at 4:42 am

• Betty L. says:

I take ranitidine has been on it for years don’t have cancer but I do have stage 3to 4 renal kidney failur and was told this medication is a contributed is this true??

Posted on November 25, 2019 at 1:27 pm

• Linda says:

I am sitting here with an urgent drug recall form, I called n the NDC # had NDMA I them. I have been taking these pills for 10 yrs. help

Posted on November 26, 2019 at 9:33 am

• Kathy says:

I took Protonix for years but before that I took Tagment and Zantac (all over the counter)) for a few years. I was put on Zantac because of concerns with the product Protonix, over a year ago or so. Now I have Stage 3 Kidney Disease. Now what?

Posted on November 27, 2019 at 7:08 am

• Joyce says:

I have taken zantac for a couple years,when I heard about this,stopped taking it,and Ranitidine because I was having problems,something something about my kidney wasn’t functioning right,but that was the end of it. Fine now I guess,just scared still have the prescription bottle in med cabinet with what’s left,

Posted on November 27, 2019 at 12:11 pm

• Duave says:

I took over the counter Zantac years ago for years. About eight six ago I What is diagnosed with stage four prostate cancer. Had my prostate removed two years later the cancer came back had to get radiation for eight weeks five days a week. I just think God I’m alive.

Posted on November 28, 2019 at 10:03 pm

• Robert says:

I used to take Xanax on a daily basis for acid reflux and heartburn quit taking it about 8 years ago but have experienced some sharp pains in my right side and now have other stomach issues not sure exactly what they are because I don’t have insurance to continue going to doctors but really would like to know if there is something I need to do to be safe any information you can provide me with be a great help

Posted on December 4, 2019 at 9:11 am

• Alan says:

Been taking Zantac for over 10years for acid reflux until 2 years ago. Got insurance got script from my doctor. Back in May of this year I was diagnosed with prostate cancer I had my prostate removed at the end of August this year. Before that I was in very good health do I have a case

Posted on December 8, 2019 at 12:58 am

• Mia says:

I took Zantac for years. In 2017 I had part of my kidney removed for a cancerous tumor.

Posted on December 12, 2019 at 9:15 pm

• Byron says:

I was on them along time I have always had stomach issues. I was on them from my mid20’s until they quit prescribing in my mid30’s now I have Cancer throughout my body including my brain and adrenal glands around the superior vena cava at my heart in my right upper lung

Posted on December 13, 2019 at 3:47 am

• Edwin says:

Ive taken zantac several times i had heartburn for years what concerns should i have .thank you dated Dec 13, 2019

Posted on December 13, 2019 at 11:57 am

• Tamera says:

I took Zantac and Rantidine as prescribed by my family doctor for years for my heartburn and stomache ulcers. A yr. ago Oct. 2018 I was diagnosed with breast cancer and Dec. 2018 had a lump ectomy done. They told me they got it all and I was exstatic and was looking forward to celebrating being cancer free for a yr. but that day will never come as for now just a week and a half ago I was hospitalized with jaundice and excruciating pain in my lower back and middle stomache they did emergency surgery and took brushings for a biopsy and put 2 stints in and 7 days later they told me I have pancreatic cancer. We put our trust into our doctors and also the FDA to not let us be exposed to prescribed drugs that may and do cause cancer WTH is this world coming to? Are we all exceptable to being guinea pigs without our consent or knowledge? I feel that I am entitled to some kind of compensation but that still doesnt take away the pain and suffering I’m still going through and the great chance it may also end my life!!!!!

Posted on December 13, 2019 at 9:41 pm

• Frank says:

Never smoked got cancer at base of tounge took zantac? could it given me my cancer? 1994

Posted on December 15, 2019 at 2:17 pm

• Carol says:

I have been taking zantac for years bc stomach problems, was put in hospital for the pains. They ended up removing my gallbladder while in hospital. When I got out of the hospital about a week later had the same pains. Had stomach problems for many more yrs, trying to deal with the stomach pains taking zantac the whole time everyday.
    A stomach dr went in my stomach to see what was going on and dr said the lining of my stomach was eat up & I had all kinds of ulcers also. Since that I’ve been on zantac & prilosec everyday. That was about 2 years ago, I can’t go without these 2 medicine’s bc of the pain without them. I have so much bladder pain, stomach problems, back pain & even hard to swallow at times. My dr just blows everything off & gives me antibiotics. Never been checked or any blood work for any cancer.

Posted on December 16, 2019 at 1:38 am

• Mary says:

I have been taking zantac, generic form as well along with nexum and now it’s generic form as well and will now have a conversation with my doctor

Posted on December 16, 2019 at 6:20 am