Benicar Lawyers Reviewing Cases for
Chronic Diarrhea and Intestinal Problems
The product liability lawyers at Saiontz & Kirk, P.A. are now reviewing potential Benicar lawsuits, Azor lawsuits and Tribenzor lawsuits for individuals throughout the United States who have suffered severe and chronic diarrhea or other intestinal problems that may have actually been caused by the popular blood pressure medications that contain olmesartan.
As a result of the drug maker’s failure to adequately warn about the risk of gastrointestinal problems, many users have suffered chronic diarrhea and other injuries for years without doctors ever realizing that it may have been caused by use of Benicar.
Lawsuits Reviewed for Chronic Diarrhea and Gastrointestinal Problems from Benicar.
A growing body of research provides “clear evidence” that there is a connection between side effects of Benicar and instesinal problems, including:
- Sprue-Like Enteropathy
- Chronic Diarrhea
- Nausea and Vomitting
- Dehydration and Malnutrition
- Substantial Weight Loss
- Autoimmune Problems
In many cases, individuals who have experienced these Benicar problems have been repeatedly hospitalized due to the severity of their symptoms, and they may be left with long-term gastrointestinal damage, known as villous atrophy.
In 2013, the FDA issued a Benicar safety announcement (PDF) providing warnings for the first time about the risk of intestinal problems known as sprue-like enteropathy from Benicar, Benicar HTC and other hypertension medications containing olmesartan medoxomil, including Axor and Tribenzor.
Although Benicar had been on the market for more than 10 years, and the drug maker had access to data stemming from use of the medication by millions of people, it took independent studies, literature case series and the FDA’s evaluation of adverse event reports before consumers and the medical community were provided information about this potential risk.
According to the FDA Benicar warning issued on July 3, 2013 (emphasis added):
FDA’s evaluation found clear evidence of an association between olmesartan and sprue-like enteropathy.
FDA identified 23 serious cases in [the FDA’s Adverse Event Reporting System (FAERS)] presenting as late-onset diarrhea with significant weight loss and, in some cases, with intestinal villous atrophy on biopsy. All patients improved clinically after discontinuation of [Benicar], and a positive rechallenge was seen in 10 of the cases.
Among the information provided by the FDA that should have been disclosed earlier by the drug maker:
- Benicar users should contact their doctors immediately if they experience severe diarrhea, diarrhea that does not go away or significant weight loss, as this may be a sign of sprue-like enteropathy from Benicar.
- Intestinal problems from Benicar may take months or even years to develop.
- Other hypertension drugs that are part of the same class of medications, known as ARBs, do not appear to carry the same risks that Benicar does.
- Although diarrhea symptoms may resolve when Benicar is no longer used, some cases resulted in documented intestinal damage known as villous atrophy, which can impact the bodies ability to absorb nutrients from food. This may leave former Benicar users with chronic dehydration and malnutrition.
Review a Case with our Benicar Injury Lawyers
The Benicar lawyers at Saiontz & Kirk, P.A. are pursuing potential cases for former user who have suffered any of the following injuries following use of the medication:
- Hospitalized with Severe Diarrhea, Nausea or Vomitting
- Treatment for Chronic Diarrhea that Continued Over a Period of Several Weeks
- Celiac Disease Diagnosis
- Unclassified Sprue Diagnosis
- Sprue-Like Enteropathy from Benicar Diagnosis
- Villous Atrophy Diagnosis
- Other Chronic Intestinal Problems
Free consultations and claim evaluations are provided to help determine if you, a friend or family member may be entitled to financial compensation through a Benicar injury case.
After speaking with our lawyers, it remains your decision whether to move forward with a lawsuit, and you pay nothing unless we obtain a recovery for your injury. There are never any out-of-pocket costs associated with hiring our Benicar attorneys, as we only receive a fee or reimbursed expenses out of any money that may be obtained from the maker of Benicar.