Jump to Navigation

Mirena IUD Complications Can Be Painful and Debilitating

Harvey Kirk

As the use of Mirena IUD birth control continues to increase, providing women with a “hassel-free” and long-acting form of reversible contraception, a growing number of women are suffering horrific and painful internal injuries when the implanted device perforates the uterus or migrates to other parts of the body.

These Mirena complications can have a devastating impact on a woman’s quality of life, causing pelvic pain, lower back pain, bleeding, infections and other problems caused if the IUD slices through internal organs.

Injury Lawyers

Have You Suffered a Mirena IUD Injury?

REVIEW A CASE

The lawyers at Saiontz & Kirk, P.A. have been reviewing potential Mirena injury lawsuits for women throughout the United States, as the manufacturer appears to have failed to adequately warn about the risk of migration and perforation.

In many cases, women do not discover that there is a problem until long after the Mirena IUD was implanted, with complications often starting with abdominal pain or bleeding.

Visual imaging following these symptoms may reveal that the Mirena IUD has moved, and is not where it should be in the uterus. In some cases, women have not discovered the Mirena injury until they become pregnant because the device moved out of place in the uterus.

Women have reported that their doctors found the Mirena IUD on the wrong side of the uterus wall, even as far away as the liver. In some cases, women have discovered that their body expelled the Mirena on its own.

In addition to the pain and complications associated with perforation or migration, woman may suffer further injury during attempts to remove Mirena IUD. In some cases, it has been necessary for women to undergo a hysterectomy, potentially leading to unwanted infertility and hormal changes.

These Mirena injuries have also been linked to severe psychological effects, such as depression, anxiety and mood changes.

MIRENA INJURY LAWSUITS

It appears that Bayer knew or should have known about the risk of spontaneous migration, uterine perforation and other Mirena IUD complications, yet failed to provide adequate warnings or information for women or the medical community. As a result, financial compensation may be available for those that have experienced these problems.

To review a potential Mirena injury lawsuit with the lawyers at Saiontz & Kirk, call 800-522-0102 or request a free consultation and claim evaluation.

59 Comments Add Your Comments

1. I had the mirena placed three days ago. My doctor told me i would have slight cramping. The day of the insertion I couldnt drive home. All the pain is located on the left side of my body. Now on the third day the pain is getting worse. The pain is shooting down my leg and is in my lower back. Plus my abdominal area. I cant stand up without nearly fainting. I had no idea that it would give me this much pain. I just really want it taken out.

2. I got the mirena s yrs ago..it is now embeded in my uterus i have to have surgery to remove it..

3. I had the Mirena placed in 2010 and removed in 2011. A few months after being placed, I ended up having surgery to remove two cysts, which caused me to lose 1/3 of my left ovary. In the process of this surgery, my doctor found Endometriosis. About 3 to 4 months after I had it removed, I had a tubal pregnancy in my left tube which resulting in me losing my left tube.

4. I had a Mirena placed about 4 1/2 years ago. I just found out on Tuesday that the device moved and dropped from its position and now I’m PREGNANT. I went to the ER because I was bleeding for 18 days without stopping. I was devastated while leaving the ER. Dr gave me some information on “possible miscarriage.” The bleeding continues.This is my 22nd day of bleeding. My obgyn is taking additional test on me to determine what he will do or if I lost the baby. So sad………. I will find out on monday =( So nervous

5. Dominique says:

I got the iud about 6 months ago and I have had none stop pain in my back and uterus since then dr. Have given me ultrasounds and cant find anything wrong I even felt a lump inside me that hurts super bad… i don\’t know what to do because dr. Say they don\’t see anything wrong with it..

6. I had Mirena in 2009 and I didn’t see my cycle for the first 3weeks,after that I bleed for the next 10months straight.I consulted my ob gyn Doctor and was told that it was normal to do that the first year.It didn’t bother me because i wasn’t sexual active prior to me getting (Mirena).so after the non-stop bleeding I had it removed..and was told by my regular Doctor that some of my blood work has come up abnormal.with inflamtion in my liver and I’m a very healty women no medical issue for my age not even high blood pressure.It wasnt until i seen a t.v commericial on (mirena) health issue I start to panic.and started looking into it..I know can go back to my Doctor and give her some look at why my blood work is abnormal for liver in flamation..i may be able to get some type of help and its now 2013..thanks guys for everyones comments.I dont wonder no more after reading all comment to why i havnt concieve yet..

7. I got mine about 2 weeks ago. They said it would hurt a little during and after. I still cringe thinking of the pain when they inserted it and after was horrible. Wish they would have told me I’d have horrible cramps that would keep me in bed until the next day. Now I have to go in and get it checked and I’m so so so scared because I remember the pain of them putting it in. I have to go because it’s coming out and I’m bleeding. I don’t want to go but I have to. I’ve already put it off for two days.

8. I got my mirena about 2 years ago after my daughter was 2 months old.. i bled for 4 months straight and had Horrible cramping so bad i couldn’t walk i stayed doubled over and nauseadted. I didn’t have any warning from, my doctor about the side effects and it still is uncomfortable. When i walk or if me and my husband have intercourse, it stabs me and i occasionally bleed from it. I am scared to have it checked.

9. I’ve had my Mirena Iud for almost a year now with no complications at all everything has been fine. Here I am about 10 months later nothing has changed.this morning after sex with my husband things felt different so I checked my Mirena as I always did ,things felt ok. I called my doc she said to come in Monday just to be sure..after a few hours I started having a lot of pain almost like contractions..I checked again and my Mirena is out of place! Now it is coming out by itself! I called my doc now she says go to emergency room..so here we are at the emergency room still very painfully,they will most likely remove it(which I will not be against) after all this time my body is rejecting and I asked every question imaginable when the iud was inserted including if it can move or knocked out of place on it own or by intercourse and of course the answer was no..I was also provided with a pamphlet which I still have and no where in there does it have the Information above

10. Elizabeth says:

I got the IUD put in jan. 2011 & removed aug. 2012. The first time i got an infection from it, i went to the doctor and was treated, but it was not removed. I then contracted the same infection a second time, and again was treated but it was not removed. I started having cramping before my first infection, but after the second infection i went to get it removed. The doctor who took it out then told me it should have been removed the first time because the infection would never go completely away while i had it.

11. i had an IUD placed about 5 to 6 years ago and had it removed almost 9 onths later due to the fact that it was not inserted far enough an scrapped my partners genitals and caused servere pain to my lower back which to this day i still have. I have not heard if this can cause infertility but i miscarried 2 years ago at 8 weeks pregnant after trying to concieve a child for a year. and since havebeen trying to concieve again and have yet to become pregnant. recently i went for my annual pap and was told it came back inconclusive so now i have to have a colposcopy to check my uterus.im an nervous and feel as if this product has ruined my uterus and can no longer have children.

12. I had mirena put in several years ago…very painful and long procedure. Bled like crazy..soaked several pads and could not go to work! Six weeks later I went for an ultrasound to check the placement…they could not find it..even did an internal. The dr said it must have fallen out…give me a break! This is big enough to notice. So over the past several years I have had irreagular periods. sometimes twice a month..painful intercourse..a bowel infection..random cramping and pain in lower abd. migraines..extreme fatigue..these are some of the changes in my health status. Im not sure if its related to mirena..I figured I was just getting older…But now I am wondering. I never went back to the dr to have her find the iud bc she insisted it had fallen out…here we are a few years later and I finally made an appt with a gyn and I am going to request an abdominal scan or xray.

13. I got my IUD placed about 5 to 6 years ago and lost my insurance last year so I have not had it removed however for the last year I have had severe abdominal pain and I am currently running a fever and I have an appointment tomorrow but I am sure that I’ll have to go in for surgery because of the severe pain I am absolutely certain that the tissue is growing around the IUD. I had a cyst on the same side that ruptured 6 months ago and fluid leaked down my leg in the store then became lightheadedness and dizzy but that was 4 days after my reconnection healing practitioner worked on me causing the cyst to exfoliate itself by using light and information from hIgh frequencies but now it’s back and it’s horrible pain!

14. I had the Mirena put in 2009 was always getting sick, abdominal pain and severe back pains where I could not even get out of bed. After some testing (which also came back abnormal in the liver), CAT scan & X-rays they found the IUD embedded in my uterus. I ended up having a complete hysterectomy & IUD surgically removed. I had it removed last Aug. and still starting to feel the bad symptoms again with back pain

15. I had my 2nd IUD put in last year and I have had nothing but issues. I am having surgery on April 17th to have the IUD removed since the doctor can not find it. I am in constant pain in pelvic and back region!! I also am getting a cyst removed off my right ovary and some endometrial tissue scrapped. I am in so much pain as I type this!! I can’t take it anymore.

16. I had the IUD put in about 6 months ago and my doc told me that there were no side effects. About a month or so after getting it I started getting sharp abdominal pains that felt like the mirena pinching me so I went to the doc and she did an ultrasound and found a cyst on my ovary (which I had never had any before) I told her I wanted to take the IUD out but she convinced me that they were unrelated, now I have these lumps on my buttocks I’m having trouble getting an appointment with my doc but I did some research and I think they are Pilonidal Cysts. They are extremely painful, and I have never had any cysts before I had the Mirena inserted. I was just wondering if anyone else has had these same symptoms? (I am convinced it is the mirena and as soon as I can am getting it out)

17. I agree with you Angela. I had the IUD inserted in 2008 (it is due to be removed June 2013). I’ve had bleedings, pelvic pains and cysts. I told my doctor that all these things happening could be because of Mirena and she insisted that it is not. Also everytime my period is just about due I could feel a lump in my lower ab and breast.

18. I got the Mirena March 19th 2012 its been a lil over a yr now. When I had it put in I was on a Prenatal Insurance plan. That would expire after my 6wk check up. My doctor never informed me that it should be checked atleast twice a year. Didn’t give me no kinda advice, just a pamphlet. Sexual intercourse is very painful, my periods last for 6-10 days now. Heavy flow. Extreme weight gain. Constant stomache cramps. Somtimes it hurts so bad I cant stand up,walk or anything. There is smell that constantly returns. BV returns so much, that i feel like I am always on antibiotics. I really need it removed.

19. melinda says:

I got the mirena put in march 19 2012,about 6months after having my sixth c.section.it was very painful not to mentioned never dilating to top it off ,very painful befor n after.had major cramping first day n bleeding every 4 to 5 Weeks.I have cramps in my lower left side weekly,tender breast,n 10lb weight gain,acne like crazy,moody every now n then,n was recently hospitalized for inflamtion in stomach.dont recomend it at all.when I get insurance it will be removed.

20. crystal says:

this is total bullsh*t!!!! This is my 3rd Mirena and I am having the worst pelvic pain of my life,and I’ve had 4 kids! My Mirena is missing inside me somewhere! I am about to go through the imaging required to find it and then surgery to remove it. I am going to sue the pants off these people! I’m a single mom with an 8mo. old boy and NO help! I can’t even lift him right now! What am I supposed to do with him while all of this crap is going on with me!?

21. Talliyah says:

I had my iud placed in jan 2012 and about a year later I started to have pain during and after sex. It pokes my partner and after sex I feel sick and have extreme abdominal and lower back pain. Sometimes I can’t even get up. Right now I am on pain I had sex this morning around 11am and it is now 12:50 am the next morning and I am still in pain. I have an appointment for the 30th to have it removed

22. I am wondering if anybody is having pain in their feet with numbing, tingling and it feels like I am having needles poked in my feet, the pain also goes up my legs. I dont know if this has anything to do with it but I thought I might see if anyone else is having these same problems. I also know that a co-workers wife had the iud put in and one side of her body went numb and she had bleed for 2 months straigt so she is getting it taken out on Friday.

23. Mikayla says:

I had Mirena placed about a year ago. I started having severe abdominal pain (the same pain experienced during insertion) about once every 2 weeks for 10 months. I went in for several ultrasounds, but my OBGYN insisted everything was in place. He started out prescribing Ibprofin, then 800mg Ibprofin, then muscle relaxers, then finally percoset.
    One night, I had such an intense “contraction” that it had me on the floor screaming. I called my OBGYN and they had me come in immediately. Turns out, it was a ruptured ovarian cyst. I had never had these before. They insisted that it wasn’t Mirena and that Mirena actually FIXES cysts. So I left it in and then a few days later, felt horrible cramping and was vomiting. I went to the emergency room and found out I had another cyst.
    I finally removed Mirena and then a couple months later, had Skyla inserted by a different OBGYN. Now I’m feeling that same horrible cramping. I thought that since it was smaller and had less progestrin, it would be different, but it’s the same pain.

24. Brittany says:

were to begin,this thing put me through hell!! when i got it inserted five yrs ago the pain was ubarrable, i had severe cramping in my legs and pain in my lower back and feet. The leg pains stayed and so did the joint pain It was hard to sleep most nights.Everyday tasks seemed hard to do such as taking care of my toddler and housework. i have had so many infections that dont seem to go away. The odar is just humiliating and the discharge. I always had pressure down there and it felt heavy all the time. I lost my sex drive not to mention sex was painfull i to would get sharp pains and get dizzy and nauses. Nothing seemed to work for the pain. i became very depressed and angry i hated life i never wanted to get out of bed. i had no energy , i would be so confused couldnt remember anything like i was in a daze. I would have migraines that would last for days i would cry everyday not knowing what to do because my doctors said that it wasnt from the mirana, but i knew it was because none of these problems came about untill i had the iud put in. i thought i was loosing my mind! i gained so much weight. I weight 135 getting it put in and then when they weighted me when i had it removed i weight 180. Since having it removed in october i lost most of the weight. The pains in my legs in my thighs are gone but the pain in my bones and joints are still there.I have trouble standing for more than a few hours at work some days i cant go due to the leg pain. My sex drive has come back. I still get severe cramping before i start my period. The foul discharge and smell will not go away even though i tryed antibotics and what not. Im embarssed to be intiment with my fieance. Im extremly upset that the doctors i went to told me that the problems i was having wasnt from the iud,but i knew deep down something was very wrong and i just want to be back to normal if its even possible.

25. I had the Mirena inserted in the fall of 2010 in the hopes of no periods since that is what the doctor told me would happen when using it. I will add that having it inserted was the worst pain i have ever experienced (worse than child birth) and nearly passed out. Over the next two years I had two week long periods every month that were very light but none the less bothersome. On September 11, 2013 I decided to have it removed. On September 14 I began bleeding heavily. I continued bleeding heavily for 6 months. My doctor tried multiple things to get the bleeding to stop. Nothing helped. I ended up severely anemic and admitted to the hospital for to have a blood transfusion because I had lost so much blood. In March I made the decision to have a hysterectomy. It was the last option I had for relief from bleeding, being anemic, etc. I am only 35. Since then things are so much better and I don’t regret having a hysterectomy. I do believe it all was a result of getting the Mirena.

26. Anonymous says:

Ok here I go , this is my third merina iud and as everyone else they do hurt going in,I just had my third one put in June 2013 and had nothing but problems , my stomach has swelled up and feels like I want to puke all the time,and between the shooting pains in my legs and thighs ,and the lower back pain is just unbearable .just had ultra sound yesterday and it is in place however there is no string I go tomorrow to find out the next step now I am scared like hell to find out how there gonna get this thing out , this one is the worst out of the other two I had ,and I will not be getting another one ,please ladies tell your friends and family to do research before getting the device .also I will post more information as soon as I find out more on how their gonna get this thing out .

27. Charity says:

I had my iud put in in february 2012. I have had mood swings, headaches, and cramps but i havent really noticed anything else. Everything seemed to be normal. After reading this i dont know whether i should have mine removed or if its ok. Has anyone else not had any major pain with theirs?

28. I have had my iud for 2 years and didnt have a period at all and then light bleeding sometimes until around three months ago and before every period i have horrible cramping in my lower back radiating down my calves and legs for a day before. This third month the cramping has been going on for four days. I dont know what it is. Im nervous now reading all the above comments. Any advice??

29. I’ve had the IUD for about 2 years, just recently went to get it out because I’m experiencing a great deal of pain in my lower abdomen, with radiating pain down my right leg, migraine, and acne. My Dr looked for it and after LOOKING for it, tells me I NEED TO HAVE AN ULTRA SOUND TO FIND IT! I’m spotting now, which i wasn’t before the Dr went LOOKING for it. And I’m experiencing severe pain in my lower right abdomen area radiating pain down into my right thigh. I’m so miserable. :-( I’m scared to go for this ultrasound, nervous about where this thing is, what it might’ve done to me

30. I’m also experiencing dizziness, like the room I’m in is spinning, and nausea.

31. best advice DONT DO THE MIRENA i wish i never did it i just rusted my docs opinion

32. I’m 29& I live in California… i have two amazing little boys 5& 3 which were both natural births with no problems… i had the Mirena put in after my 2nd child& in April of 2009 after 3years… I had it removed with no problems May 20 2013 due to cyst& stomach pain and a lot of other problems I know a lot of you went through… I finally felt like myself again up until a week after removal… I felt depressed mad sad… it was hard for me to be around my children.. I felt as if I was going crazy.. did some research online and found other women like myself… and they called it the “Mirena Crash” after going through this emotional roller coaster for almost 2months… i found out that I was 5weeks pregnant August 8 2013… which i was very happy about after having two boys i felt as if i’d finally have my girl… but as of right now im recovering from an Ectopic Pregnancy where I had to have my right Fallopian removed… doctors say I can still get pregnant having just the left but I’m terrified that it will happen again… I’m just wondering why there are no lawsuits for women like myself who are having problems even though they did not need surgery to get their Mirena removed…

33. I got mine put in in 2009. I actually found you because I can not sleep because I am having contraction like pains.
    Dr. in the a.m. this things gotta go!

34. I just got my paragaurd iud put in a week ago. Within minutes i had cramps. I figured they would go away. Instead started having instense cramps on the left side, like take your breath away. Now i am bleeding ithought it might be my period i mmiscarried three weeks ago. I have extreme body aches cramps so bad with leg pains shooting down my legs that i had to explain to my college why i was unable to walk from the parking lot to the campus.embarrassing! I just want to die i hurt so bad.

35. I got my first IUD in 2007 since then I have had PID at least 10x I have had my left ovary and Fallopian tube removed due to cysts scarred tissue and chronic pelvic pain after the ovary and Fallopian tube were removed that procedure cost me a house and a job bc it took over a month for me to recover. I had to have another exploratory procedure 9months later that put me down for a week bc I was still having the pain. I developed more cysts on my right ovary but didn’t have it removed with hopes of one day having another child although the ‘doctors said y chances were slim to none. I had 1 miscarriage when the 1st IUD was in place. I had to have the IUD surgically removed bc it had migrated and the strings had retracted into my uterus and implanted themselves in my uterine wall. I am now on my 2nd IUD and I have had another miscarriage and i have also had PID again as well as another pelvic issue and am still dealing with extensive irregular bleeding and massive pelvic pain. I am a single mother to a beautiful 5 year old boy with down syndrome he has enough health problems on his own and having complications from this IUD just make it harder to care for him properly which isn’t fair to him or me this pain is ridiculous and completely unnecessary given that I was a very healthy person before this type of birth control!!! I am not amused!!!

36. I am writing this about my granddaughter. Age 28. Teaches Kd
    Has 3 children. After 2nd child had a dam Mirena put in. Bleeding & horrible
    cramping. Pregnant again very soon. Was told by a Dr that it had been expelled due to her marathjron running. 16 months ago she had a precious baby boy, the other children precious girls. But one week ago she had cramping & pains on her right side.
    ‘she assumed it was her appendix. Barely drove herself to the hospital. They put her in surgery & surprise, there was the dam iud imbedded in the appendix. Four hours later, she wanted to die of pain. I am 72 years old & have learned a few things. Do not trust a dam Dr as far as you can throw him. They are not God, But I remember when I was having children I thought they were! I think that every one of ;you sweet women should sue the co that has made these horriable iuds , And that every one gets compensation for all the pain & suffering they have caused you. I am encouraging my Beautiful granddaughter to. I love my great-grandchildren & thank God for them. But lets all do something about this horrible problem.

37. Had mirena put in march of 11 and havent had any issues until this past years…… Acne like crazy, migraines, now abdominal pain, back pain, and my stomach feels hard. ive gained 10 pounds in 2 weeks and honestly feel like im pregnant but the er said im not and didnt do an ultrasound or anything. My strings were cut short and now my my husband says he cant feel them during sex…..

38. I have had mire for like 7 moths and I suggest to every woman don’t use it and if you are going to use it try it with a really professional because, my iud mirena was in wrong place and since that I never stooped bleeding I always have pain even after of have sex before it started I told with my doctor she told me everything was fine I waited 6 moths and the same thing went on at last she sent me to take radiography to see was going on when they found that iud. Was in the wrong place and they have to remove it a soon as possible they didn’t tell me why but today I’m tired to support this situation because it affect my personal life. I will find a new doctor to see what is going on one and then I’ll let ya know! The reason I share this is to ya don’t use iud .

39. Well….im convinced by these comments that i need to get this thing(Mirena IUD) removed ASAP. Ive had this iud for 4 1/2 yrs after giving birth to my twins in 2009. I was fine for years then all of the sudden 2 months ago i started to experience pain in my left leg like a shooting pain down the back. I thought it was a small charlie horse but it was almost too constant for that. So last week was enough was enough for me i was Rudely Awakend at 1am in sooooo much pain i couldnt even get out the bed to get some tylenol for my pain in my back and left leg..i was in sever pain and crying. I went to my Doc and was told that the pain or discomfort could be because its around the time for it to be removed(march2014) i should be fine,cant get pregnant and if i had any more problems before that then come back to have it taken out. You bet i am….(2weeks later)……my appt is mon the 30th and im not taking No for an answer. I dont want anymore children but i dont want to be disabled because of it. This pain is too much to endure anymore. Welp i guess me and Depo Provera are going to get reaquainted. This is serious and Needs to be Attended immediately. Thank you for listening and letting me know im Not Alone and its not “just me”.

40. I’ve had mirena for a little over 2 1/2 years now 2 months after I had my daughter . It has been awful first of all it was painful to have it put in at first I really liked it but then I noticed my mood changes didn’t change and I stopped losing weight but it was so painful to have it inserted and I was scared to have it remove. The systoms that I have had with this is hair loss, weight gain, no sex drive at all, mood swings, anxiety, lower back pain, breast tenderness, cramps, heavier periods, pain during intercourse, no energry, nausea. This entire time I was able to feel the strings so I assumed everything was ok. In June 2013 I was so feed up with this thing and read so many post how easy and painless it was to have it remove,so I finally seen a doctor to remove it. It was so painful as the doctor try to remove it I had a cramping sensation from the top of my head to my toes. The doctor stopped and said it might be attached to try to remove it by dialating me. I had gone to planned parenthood thinking I had no insurance due to a switch. So I made an appointment with my doctor told him what happened he try to remove it by dilation. Not succeful he tells me I have to have surgery to have it removed. But he’s going out of town just my luck. So I wait for my insurance switch now I go to my new doctor explain what has happen and I just want it out. He said I needed an xray did that. IUD strings canbe seen but tthey don’t know where exactly. I am scheduled for surgery now for august go to surgery a vaginal one. It was not successful they weren’t able to remove it but went in with a camrea and can see strings but no iud . So the doctor scheduled me for a MRI no luck with that either they can see mirena but not sure where it pefiroated though. Did a ct scan of my pelvis and it shows it is embedded in my uterus but not sure if it attached itself to anything else. I am 26 years old with 2 children and me and my husband want more children but there is a chance that I might have to have a histerectomy. Its really scary I have surgery Oct. 16th I have waited over a month and a half for this date it seems forever away. Hopefully they can remove it without having a histerectomy. Right now I’ve bee. Having shooting pains in my uterus on my left side only very painful Oct 16th please come soon. This has been an absolute night mare I will never recommended this awful thing.

41. I got the mirena in 2010 3 months after giving birth. They inserted the mirena and placed it wrong so the next day I came in and they had to remove it and replace it which was very painful. After I got the mirena i no longer had periods but was having extreme pain in my pelvis. Having intercourse was terrible. I would be on the verge of tears every time. Sometimes sitting down I’d get sharp pain in my pelvis. My depression and anxiety got worse. I got in removed 11 months after it being placed. And was still having sharp pain. I went into to get checked out. Had ultrasounds done and test done and they told me nothing was wrong. I would never recommend the mirena to anyone!

42. I had the mirena for almost 3 yrs I started getting realky bad pains like period cramps but 1000rines worst they were so bad I’d stop in my tracks I finally went to get checked out and was told it might be a cyst so I had to go get checked out well I did have a cyst but nuttin that should of caused me this much pain so they told just wait 6wks and come back that the cyst might go away with my period well it did but I was still in pain so then I was able to see my normal doctor who then thought it was my appendix so I got sent to the hospital to get checked they took my appendix but I was still in pain so then they though it had somthing to do with my c-section mark gave me meds for lump notes guess what still in pain so I just left it go since the pain was every so offen well I lost my job and on new yrs eve my friend took me to the hospital bc of pain once again they did a bunch of test told me there’s nothing wrong with me and they don’t no why I’m in pain left the hospital so in the end of January once again horrible pain went to a different hospital they did test they tell me I have a very bad uti gave me meds fifinished them well guess what I’m still in pain so I sais to my mom I think its my iud so I went to planned parent good the removed my mirena and guess what after almost a yr of pain 1hr after removal the pain was gone

43. I had a mirena inserted 11 years ago age 48. I suffered a lot of pain for a long time and then it settled down but never completely. I always felt it was sticking in me, i had it checked by my gp but because the strings were in place no one thought anything was wrong. I recently have a lot of blood problems and we decided to get the mirena removed. Two doctors tried but failed. Then I had a camera in my womb and there is no sign of the mirena. It looks like it has been inserted on the outside of my womb and was never inside my womb. I now have to have an MRI to see how deeply it has penetrated and then face a hysterectomy.

44. i just had mirena implanted yesterday and it wasn’t bad a little cramping. today my left hip hurts so bad i cant stand it. i can’t even walk. i have knee pain often and sometimes into my hip and foot but i can’t tell if its the iud or knee pain. it hurts to wiggle my toes even. i dguess i will wait it out and see if its iud. has anyone had a good experience with this? im getting very nervous. i have.no help with my daughter and no sitter if i were to end up in hospital

45. I received my 2nd iud in August shortly after symptoms started. Scalp soreness so bad that I shaved my head. Moodiness. Crying spells but the worse was the lower and higher abdominal pain loss of appetite. Unable to keep any food down. Diarrhea, constipation,vomiting. Laying in fetal position. Unable to work or be a mom. It has been 2 days since removal and I was finally able to drink broth. Not sure how long it will take but I’m just ready to be me again.

46. i had mirena back in 2006. hurt like hell putting it in. i had it in for 8 months. i bled all 8 months, headaches everyday, dizzy, leg pain, cramps, pelic pain. i was diagnosed with chronic pelvic pain. i had it removed, it was too much to handle. i thought i was going to die when they removed it. obgyn said the mirena had moved. since removal, my periods are 10x worse. so is cramping, headaches and pelvic pain. i dont recommend mirena.

47. I had mirena put in Oct 2012 and had it removed Sep 2013 due to extreme pain and even during intercourse when there was intercourse cause the mirena had me to where I wasn’t in the mood for sex and that causes problem with the husband and I didn’t like feeling like that and being depressed and ill and it caused pain in my stomach badly so I called my Ob/Gyn and went and he checked me and then sent me for a pelvic ultrasound and the mirena was coming out and that was one of the reason for the pain but the main reason was it caused me to get a pelvic infection so I had to take different antibiotics and I still have pain and I been having alot of headaches.I do not recommend the Mirena to anyone.

48. I had Mirena put in Nov. 2012 and had it removed around January or february. Had really bad cramps and a pain that radiated through my right leg. During intercourse I felt it moving inside me. I got dizzy most of the time even when I would laid down with my eyes closed. I felt my breast very tender especially in the nipple area. Started to have irregular mentsrual cycles in cases months without it and some did. After the removal of it I still have irregular menstrual cycles some months I have it others without

49. I had an iud mirena removed and some of its inbeded in my uterus.

50. Anonymous says:

I had the mirena IUD inserted in May 2013 and was hospitalised overnight for pain upon insertion. An ultrasound confirmed it was placed correctly but from then I experienced pain during sex. In September 2013 I had a suspected ruptured ovarian cyst and was hospitalised again for pain. Another ultrasound confirmed the IUD was still in place however following this I experienced daily, debilitating pelvic and back pain. A host of doctors ruled out PID, ectopic pregnancy, further cysts and intestinal problems. A new GYN suspected endometriosis and scheduled a laproscopy for Jan 2014. She found no traces of endo and concluded that the pain was most likely caused by the Mirena. She surgically removed it on the spot and as yet the pain hasn’t returned.

51. I had mirena iud put in about 5 months ago. As of right now and all day i have pelvic pain started this morning shooting to hips all the way down to my ankles and my toes feel like they are goin numb. As the fay drags on the pain is worsening. Also the whole time iv had this iud mood swings, anxiety, depression, bleeding for weeks at a time,i feel weak and dizzy, & i dont feel like doing anything! And thats not ok with a 6 year old and a 6 month old to care for! I wish i never let my obgyn talk me into geting mirena iud because i was on insurance for pregnancy only and now i have no insurance and need to go to dr. to have this stupid iud checked and REMOVED. I would never recommend this type of birth control to anyone. I hope all of you who have experienced complications get something for your suffering. Its so sad to read and hear about some many terrible experiences.

52. Anonymous says:

Hi There I Had the Mirena Inserted in May 2013 After An Abortion Due To The Fact Im 26 With 3 Children Already.. I’VE bled For 7 months straight went for regular ultrasounds to make sure it was in place And the doctor said everything is intacted. .. The Doctor couldnt figure out why I bled that long and all of a sudden it just stopped well now I have 8cm overian cyst that may need to be surgical removed … Could it Be from the mirena? Now that bleeding has stopped will the cyst disappear? I’ve been doin alot of thinking that I am gettin it removed as soon as I can.. n it has made me put on alot of weight….

53. Bleeding, mood swings, hair loss, acne, pelvic pain, pain during/after intercourse, nausea, dizziness, constant migraine, oh and all this from mirena, which after only 8 months had to be laprascopicaly removed because it peforated my uterus than migrated like a freaking bird migrating, this was one of the worst things i have done……oh my dumbass obgyn said she couldn’t see it fully but would try in office to remove it, i lay there half hr in excruciating pain as she blindly did more damage, than she says ok ill remove it from uterus surgically i say ok after surgery she says i couldn’t remove it and.ran out! I than went to an oncologist gyno who successfully.removed it tg!

54. I had the Mirena IUD inserted two years ago. The doctor told me that, even though I had never been pregnant, I shouldn’t have any problems. After it was inserted i couldn’t move. I stayed in my bed for three days, until i couldn’t take it anymore. After several hours in the Emergency Room, I was informed that I had a pelvic infection, and was given antibiotics. After months of dealing with it, the pain still hasn’t gone away. It decreased to a dull ache for a while, but after sex it gets so much worse. Today I’m back to being unable to move. I don’t know if it’s supposed to do this, and I’m being a wimp, or if I need it removed.

55. I had the Mirena inserted two 3 months (March 2013) after I had my second child. It was painful when the doctor inserted the IUD, it felt like if I was in labor. After the first month with it I started with a urinary tract infection, I keep getting those every month. I’ve taken antibiotic frequently which I think is not good for me, I’ve become resistant to many already. I decided to remove it 8 months later because the infection and kept increasing. I had to see a Urologist to get treated but she didn’t do anything. I don’t have medical insurance and I’ve been paying to much money out of my pocket :( I still have urine infections eventhough I removed it. I’ve had anxiety attacks and I’m scared of having a depression.

56. Annonymous says:

I have had my IUD for just over a year (Jan. 2013). I had it inserted as I had extremely heavy bleeding during my menstrual cycle. It seemed okay at the time but as time went on I found I have had some symptoms that have started to become apparent over the course of the year. I find I am extremely depressed, irratible. I experienced severe pain in my lower back in the summer, which I had assumed was just overuse and strain. As well since September I have had excruciating headaches and acne as well as severe muscle aches in my head, neck and shoulders. I quit smoking about 5 months ago and put on some weight but now for a month I have returned to weight watchers and track what I eat almost to obsession as well as work out 5 – 6 days a week. I have not lost 1 pound. I am due for a check up but I would like some advice on whether I am being crazy or if this could be the mirena. I am at a point where I am angry, depressed and have actual anxiety attacks more and more frequently. Is it me?

57. Ive had my mirena for almost 5 yr and every month my left hip hurts so bad half the time i can barely stand i have serve cramping and i get dizzy often. During my cycle i have to take muscle relaxers and pain killers just so i can get comfortable. Ive complained about the hip pain and cramping to my doctor but alls she has in return is that its normal. Ive began to get physically sick and hurt so bad i have to stay in bed, the pain gets so much worse if im moving around to the point im crying.

58. Shannon says:

I had mirena placed years ago, and removed after an er visit where i was in excruciating pain that was due to the mirena. It had caused an infection inside me and this was two years later…my body was treating it as a foreign invader. I ended up getting a tubal ligation, but have had horrible problems since it was removed, including ovarian cysts. The last one, a week ago, was baseball-sized when it ruptured, filling my abdominopelvic cavity with blood and sending me into emergency surgery to remove almost a liter of blood. I feel all my complications are due to the evil little iud known as mirena!

59. I had mine put in 3 years ago. I’ve had depression, I thought I was just hormonal. Dizziness (which I contributed to low blood sugar), but I drink juice and eat peanut butter and I still have dizzy spells. Splotchy skin and weight gain, again I attributed to hormones. Anxiety, sleeplessness, and swollen stomach. I actually went to the Dr to make sure my IUD was in place and it was. The straw that broke the camels back is that I began having lower back pain, hip pain, and knee pain. I figured it was because I gained weight or because my mattress needs to be changed. I have been trying to put aside money to but a new mattress but in the meantime I figured I would start walking and eating right to lose weight. I also started sleeping with a pillow between my legs which helps a little but I still can barely sleep. I lost 20lbs and I’m thinner but my stomach is always “bloated”. I didn’t even know there could be a correlation between the IUD and all of these symptoms. Its hard to walk sit or sleep. I have an appointment in two days to have it removed, and I hope to God it improves my symptoms. I guess Ill find out whether its the cause or not in a month or two.